Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Plain Jane Pines for a New Look


Fueled with enthusiasm from my smaller projects like candlesticks and picture frames, I asked my husband to join me for some Saturday morning shopping for more things to paint.  We headed off to the flea market, but much to my surprise, I wasn't finding the bargains I had hoped to find.  Sometimes I find better deals at thrift stores and garage sales.  Feeling somewhat discouraged we set off for home, but then I remembered reading about an estate sale.  We stopped by on our way home and I discovered some rather "plain jane" pine end tables available at a good price.  I could see they were well-made, solid wood and I could also see the potential there. 

I couldn't wait to get started! I decided to paint the tables in the beautiful Paris Grey color and then to embellish them with a stenciled design in Old White.  This was my first piece of furniture using the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  I loved the way the paint went on and the great coverage that you get.  After just about 30 minutes, it was dry and I was able to do a second coat.  I decided to do a "white wash" to accentuate the edge details and braided trim.  Then it was on to the stencil.  I have to admit, it took me some time to get the stencil done on the first table, as it had been quite a long time since I had done one.  But kind of like riding a bike, you start to remember and then it becomes quick work.  Once the stencil was dry, I waxed and distressed the piece a little bit for that well worn look. I purposely left the little dents and dings in the table because I think they add to the character of this hand painted piece. 

I don't know about you, but I love the color combination of the soft grey with the creamy white!  I think they look more delicate and detailed now.  I really like the soft sheen that you get from the wax finish, too!  What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment